A callout for ‘Expressions of Interest’ from people interested in running music workshops in libraries around Scotland
– Music tutors and community musicians
– Music projects, groups and organisations
– Volunteers interested in supporting music in libraries
– Students and musicians interested in training to become a music tutor
– Libraries interested in hosting music workshops
See below for more info or submit your Expression of Interest here.
About We Make Music Instrument Libraries
We Make Music Instrument Libraries is a new initiative and campaign to get musical instruments into public libraries across Scotland, so people can borrow an instrument for free, just like you would take out a book. As well as loaning instruments, we want to host music workshops and live performances at these libraries, equip them with music production software & equipment, and develop online resources so people can access learning opportunities from home.
We launched the project in 2022 and currently have 14 instrument libraries up and running in Fife, North Ayrshire, Edinburgh, West Lothian & the Scottish Borders, with a number of other library services keen to join as well.
Music Workshops in Libraries
We are building a database of people around Scotland who might be interested in delivering music workshops in libraries, including:
- Music tutors and community musicians
- Music projects, groups and organisations
- Volunteers interested in supporting music in libraries
- Students and musicians interested in training to become a music tutor
- Libraries interested in hosting music workshops
The goal is to stimulate more local music-making, raise awareness of instruments that people can borrow from the libraries, and link people up with other bands and music projects in these areas. We would like to offer a diverse range of workshops and opportunities in libraries, across genres & styles, to inspire people in all kinds of music.
The information gathered will help to form a database of local musicians and tutors that will be shared with participating libraries and partners. This is an ‘expression of interest’, rather than an application, and we will let you know about any opportunities as they arise.
Current instrument libraries are active in:
- Edinburgh: Craigmillar, Muirhouse, Granton, Moredun, Wester Hailes, Central Library.
- North Ayrshire: Kilwinning, Kilbirnie, Harbour Arts, Saltcoats
- Fife: Jennie Lee Library in Lochgelly Centre
- West Lothian: Armadale, Blackridge
- Scottish Borders: Hawick
Other library services who have expressed an interest in joining the programme include:
- Highlife Highland (Thurso, Fort William & Inverness libraries)
- Dumfries & Galloway
We hope that more libraries in other areas will join the programme as well. If you are reading this as a librarian, or someone who would like to establish an instrument library in your area, we would love to hear from you.