Music Education in the Primary Classroom in Scotland
The project aims were to gather background data on general music education in primary
classrooms provided by non-specialist primary teachers as well as to explore the content of
music education in Primary school-focused Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programmes.
The study explored the following themes:
- Primary teachers’ knowledge of and for music education.
- Primary teachers’ beliefs relating to the value and place of music education in the curriculum.
- Primary teachers’ confidence in teaching music.
- Primary teachers’ accounts of practice relating to music education in the classroom.
- The professional learning of primary teachers through the content of music education in initial primary teaching and also Career Long Professional Learning (CLPL) opportunities available to them.
- Accessibility to music education for all children.